29 participants attended this year’s one-week intensive course, which provided a comprehensive overview on most aspects of pre-clinical and clinical studies in oral regeneration. Good research practice and essentials of research methodology are the main focus of the course, and the participants have the chance to learn in lectures, discussions, and workshops, from renowned and experienced researchers in the field of oral tissue regeneration, such as Niklaus Lang, Reinhard Gruber, Daniel Thoma, or Ronald Jung – to mention only a few.
The participants especially liked the nice atmosphere, the close contact with experts, and the possibility to connect with other researchers from all-over the world. They all agreed that this course was very beneficial for their future career in dental research.
Learning objectives were:
- Fundamentals of research in dental medicine
- The process from posing of a scientific question to generating the answer
- Selection of the suitable in-vitro, pre-clinical or clinical research approach
- Selection of the appropriate analytical tools for data acquisition
- Planning of a pre-clinical or clinical study within a research group using international networks
- Analysis and critical interpretation of acquired data
- Effective communication of findings and knowledge
Further information about the Osteology Research Academy Courses can be found online at https://www.osteology.org/education/research-academy/